Ramblings of a 30 something

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just the usual.


Today we visited a friend's house. I picked up a friend from the subway station and drove to our other friend's house. I forgot yesterday to ask F to set up the navigation in the car, so I was going on the memory of driving my friend home once. We got there with no issues, but to be really honest about it, it was pretty straightforward. I just don't have a great deal of confidence, but I try.

A good day was had all around, I hope. E and the 2 boys present all took turns aggravating one another. As one of my friends said, "Well, no one was the clear victim today. That's good." Lunch, dessert, and farewells followed by 2 snoozing kids in the car while my friend and I caught up while I drove her back to our station.

Not much to report for anything else. Tomorrow we're having some neighbors here in the afternoon. F told me last night he's heading out of town Friday with a potential partner for a 5:00 pm meeting. He said that it was not the best time for a meeting, 5:00 on a Friday, so he expected he wouldn't be home until 11 or so. I actually don't mind since I'm having friends over, so I won't be rushing to get dinner on the table after they leave. E and I can have a very simple dinner (yogurt, cheese, cereal & fruit) if the mood strikes.

It's Thursday, and I'm just realizing that. I noticed the sound of boxes being moved around outside to signal that some foods are being delivered to people in our neighboring building who subscribe to the service. One of my friends does it, and I'm guessing it's because Thursdays are busy days for her with a rhythm class for her little girl and usual after school activities for her older daughter. The food is delivered so that you don't have to shop that day, though judging by the size of the box I see, it's more than one day's worth. Perhaps it's also other organic staples of life?

I'm trying to get more organized in that department, but I am usually at the store 2 or 3 days during the week not counting the weekend. Maybe it's the lack of space in our fridge, or maybe it's that food seems to spoil quicker than at home in the States, or maybe I'm just a poor shopper. My feeling is that veggies are not waxed here, making them susceptible to spoiling more quickly. I HATED waxed apples and cucumbers at home though. I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's latest book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and trying to make some changes regarding how I buy food. I'm reading labels of where the produce is coming from and trying to buy closer to home. It's not always cheaper to do so: broccoli grown in Japan was 179 yen the other day at the store and broccoli brought in from the US was 99 yen. What to do? I didn't buy either since I couldn't justify the cost of the Japanese broccoli when it wasn't on sale. (Yes I'm cheap like that.)

Lately I've made spinach tortillas from scratch since I don't want to spend $4+ on a package of 10 that I need to go to a specific shop to get. I made faux ravioli the other night using wonton wrappers. (Keef, please don't go into shock at my use of pasta materials.) Whatever isn't used gets frozen for future use, and I think I tend to appreciate that which I've made myself though sometimes it's a pain in the a**.

Well, dinner needs preparing and I need to get on it. I think tonight is going to be sort of a thrown together bit, but we'll get by until tomorrow when it's grocery shopping again.


3 Comments:

Blogger bethyl said...

Check out that crazy lazy eye!

1:52 AM  
Blogger RC said...

ha ha - you just look tired and E looks wound up!

5:08 PM  
Blogger bethyl said...

yeah, we had major meltdown from about 6 until Dad walked through the door around 7. We had a short nap yesterday and I wouldn't open the package of Oreos for her to snack on within minutes of dinner, so all was shrill screams, following me around to make sure I felt her pain. The sound of the key in the door, and next thing you know it's "Daddydaddydaaaaady!" No more tears.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home