Ramblings of a 30 something

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Illness II

I have a cough that's been keeping me up at night. Yesterday I broke down and went to the doctor seeing as how I am off to Switzerland in less than a week. I didn't want to have to stand in the drugstore and try to guess as to what might be good and listen to the drugstore's recommendations.

Medicine I wanted, and medicine I got. When the doctor checked me out she said it was a cold, which is just as I expected. She told me she'd give me 5 medicines and a breathing treatment to go on. I inhaled the moist oxygen with E by my side. A woman of ninety came struggling in under her own steam and laid down on a bed in the treatment room with me. The doctor was walking through and told me the lady was 90. Her daughter or daughter-in-law sat at her side while the old woman laid down, shaking. Parkinson's, I wondered. It was sort of a shock to me in the room that smelled of sour sweat. After I finished my breating treatment, out to the lobby I went while they prepared my drugs.

I left there with 7 medicines. Usually I google the names in order to learn what it is that I'm given, but I didn't bother this time. One is supposed to make the phlegm a little thinner, and that's about all that I know. I could look up the rest, but why bother. I took my 4 pills with dinner along with liquid syrup and am starting to feel a little warm and sleepy at this point.

It's been a long time since I've had a bout of laryngitis, 12 years or more, best I can remember. And, a gnawing pain in my side has returned from about a 10 year absence as well. While it might be triggered by the volume of medicine that I'm taking, I'm suspecting it has more to do with the amount of things I seem to have myself caught up in and am stressing over.

Dinner has been eaten. E fell asleep on the way home from daycare. And, F is still working at 8:30. I'm watching Dr. Zhivago as I type and am thinking about calling it a day just because I can. The dishwasher is going, and a pile of laundry needs ironing, but we'll see. I think I'll take out the contacts and lay on the floor in front of the tv. Lots more things need doing, but I am but one mortal.

1 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

have a good time in Switzerland. Wish I could join you!

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home