Ramblings of a 30 something

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Tired.

First week at a job, which actually seems to be a pretty good job, and I'm feeling a little tired. I can't seem to get on top of my schedule, the house, the groceries, etc. I seem to be running from one thing to the next. And, I know it all seems laughable in that I'm not working much. My life even before a job just ran better if I had lists, could locate the list, and could shop from the list, etc. Notice a pattern?

Today was our first day at playgroup since summer break. Everyone wanted to catch up with everyone else, and I felt a bit chaotic. Trying to corral kids to move on to the next task, moms wanting to catch up on summer stories, and I'm wondering if I might be a bit too sensitive to sound. Or I'm a hopeless hermit forced to live in a world of people? Though my actions may be feral at times, I promise that I have been taken out into the world and allowed to socialize (mainstream, some of you may say) with the rest of the homo sapiens. (She said homo)

F is headed to Tokyo tomorrow for a meeting. Nothing particularly noteworthy about that, though he's wondering if he'll be home tomorrow night. A typhoon could be making landfall between Shizuoka and Tokyo, and train service could be affected. Our area may experience rain, so E might not be able to play outside tomorrow at daycare.

Daycare...all is going well. A friend is entering her daughter into the daycare we go to tomorrow. We had a chat tonight, and I can understand the trepidation over sending your child into the arms of strangers. Maybe I'm not such a good mom, as I did look forward to sending her. Or maybe in some ways, I was a good mom in realizing my limits and knowing that I needed some help. A bit of downtime was needed at the beginning in order to get me back into balance and feeling like I wasn't circling the drain. These days E runs inside, says her greetings, hands her notebook to the head teacher for messages between home and there, and doesn't give me a backwards glance. While I do like baby hugs and kisses, I prefer that to the other option.

I've been thinking about getting more involved in life and organizations here. My problem is that I tend to go overboard. I can't go back to work, agree to be the treasurer for our playgroup, and consider getting more involved at church. I have to also be analyzing the possibility of arranging a family camp for friends next month before making a formal announcement, the wisdom of filling a position that's going to be effectively vacated in less than 10 days with the same organization, or possibly taking on a more national role come next April. All this while I'm on several email message groups, taking a very small role in planning a convention for next February, and trying to make myself friend-worthy while neglecting to send emails to long time friends. Conflicted? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Friday, I dread Friday. I have my third chance at passing or failing the practical driving test to get my Japanese license. I'm not sure if I'm hoping for a brand new proctor this time or the older gentleman I tested with the first time. The second time, while I did not feel particularly embarrassed or bothered by it, I was given a nice dressing down. Maybe if I had cried or shown some type of remorse over my mistakes of not staying left enough or my turns not being tight enough, maybe I would have passed. "You didn't even do the basic things. Do you understand? You didn't do the basic things. Got it?" So this time, I will be counting the 3 seconds that it should take me between the time I turn on my signal and when I start a lane change. I will crawl slowly through the course to make sure that no scooter will fit between me and the left side of the lane. I will make a wide right turn in order to ensure that it appears as though I'm about to drive up on the curb before whipping the car into the lane. And, if I do all these things, perhaps I will not hit the bicyclist who is text messaging as he rides down the sidewalk while I'm attempting to pull out of the parking lot. Perhaps.

4 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

good luck on the driving test. do you need a license to drive a scooter with a side car there?

1:05 AM  
Blogger coarse gold girl said...

Thanks for sharing your blog URL with me. Yea! A well written and entertaining blog to look forward to reading! Your daughter is such a cutie! And I love your sense of humor and writing style!
Laura

7:07 PM  
Blogger bethyl said...

Thanks, Laura. I don't know that it's well written, but it's my take on my life at the moment. It's not like I need to be spending any more time online at the moment, but I consider it therapy. Does that make me an exhibitionist to have therapy with a group of people listening in?

10:26 PM  
Blogger bethyl said...

Thanks for the good luck wishes, Roy. I'm so excited that you're coming! Whenever I pass my license, I can also drive a scooter. A scooter with a side car, well, I will have to shop around for one of those. It must come complete with aviator goggles, a flowing scarf, and a leather and woolen cap with flapped ears. E would be driving it though, and I'd be her lap dog in the side car with saliva streaming through the air.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home