Ramblings of a 30 something

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Can I not get a break?

Today I went to the local international center, queuing up to be interviewed for Japanese lessons. I explained that I didn't know what my level would be for conversation, so they urged me to start just above basic, and see where it went from there.

So, I interviewed in level one, and they felt I could do level two. I interviewed for level two, and they felt I'd be bored. So, they recommended Conversation Salon which doesn't follow a text but might be challenging for me. I said that if I couldn't get a place in conversation, I wanted to try for kanji--the Chinese descended writing system. While waiting in line for the Conversation Salon interview, I asked F about whether there'd be time to test for kanji. Off he went in search of the answer, and they said that I should wait where I was. If there were any spaces left over, I could try to enter the class then.

Interviews conducted by 12 and we were instructed to come back at 1, but it looked as though there were too many people applying to enter all the classes. Upstairs at 1, and we're all gathered around and a lottery will determine if we have a space in the class. The lottery is that we write our names on a line which has been covered at the bottom so that we don't know if the line we're signing will give us a spot or not. So, yours truly did not sign a line with this special designation. Okay. Well, there's 3 spots left in the class, so all the rest of us who were previously unlucky can now do "Rock, Paper, Scissors" for a spot. I went down in the first round. And, the kanji class is all full up too, so no studying there either.

(Insert appropriate expletive here.) In addition to Japanese, I think I will be studying strategy for my rock, paper, scissors comeback.

2 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

Maybe karate lessons for the fall?

9:59 AM  
Blogger bethyl said...

I'm thinking meditation might be a better idea.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home